Friday, July 24, 2009

Lessons Learned

So Wednesday - out of nowhere - as my mom and Jack were driving to SoccerTots - Jack says "Mima (that is what he calls my mom) I don't get it - WHY did Jesus die on the cross?".

SIDENOTE: Jack has Vacation Bible School coming up next week. My mom volunteered to be the lead teacher for his class. And by "my mom volunteered" I mean "I volunteered her". As a lead Park Ranger (this year vacation Bible School has a wild canyon theme and the teachers are referred to as "Park Rangers". And yes they requested that my mom wear a park ranger hat and suggested she accessorize with a walking stick - I'm not even kidding). Where was I? Oh yes - as a lead Park Ranger my mom was provided with a cd with all the music they'll be learning during Bible School this year. She and Jack have been listening to the cd in the car lately - I assume there is a song that talks about Jesus dying on the cross.

So anyway - Jack asks the Jesus question and, if I know Mima, I'd bet her answer went a little something like "Uh - um - well see there was a lot of sin - and Jesus, well - He was the Son of God and well because of that he had a responsibility and he - well he actually lived for quite a while and then - well there was the sin and - um - so for our sins - see there was this Pontius Pilate guy and then he sent Jesus to King Herod and .." And, if I know Jack, at this point he would cut in with "What ARE you talking about, Mima? That doesn't even make any sense!". Ultimately, Mima, not wanting to provide an unacceptable answer, suggested that Jack wait until Vacation Bible School next week where he could ask a priest his question. He graciously let her off the hook.

Driving home from SoccerTots they pass by my mom's church where Jack attends pre-school during the year (also where he will be attending Vacation Bible School, incidentally). As they are passing the church Jack shouts "MIMA! STOP the car. There is St. Mary's. There will be a priest there and I can ask him my question. Can I please go in and ask my question? PLEASE!".

Well how are you gonna say no to that?!

So she stops. They go into the church and approach the lady at the desk in the front office. Jack walks right up to her and says "Excuse me. Is there a priest here? I REALLY need to ask him a question". The lady tells them that the "on duty" priest, Father Ephrem, is busy but that she would go see if Father Stephan could see him.

SIDENOTE: If memory serves I believe Father Stephan is a HOTTIE. If I wasn't married to the love of my life, and he weren't married to God, and if we didn't have such drastically different views on Roe vs. Wade, he and I would totally be an item.

Lady-at-the-desk-in-the-front-office (pretty sure that is her actual name) comes back with Father Stephan in tow and ...

Father Stephan: Hello, is there something I can help you with?
Jack: Yes. My name is Jack. Why did Jesus die on the cross?
Father Stephan: Well son, he died on the cross because he loves us.

With that Jack nodded, said "well that makes sense", and headed for the door.

Lessons learned from this story:
Lesson 1 - Adults are, in general, complicated. Children - they are simple. They don't want long convoluted answers. They just want the truth.
Lesson 2 - I am, in all likelihood, going straight to hell for the hot priest comment. I certainly hope they serve beer there.

An oldie but goodie ....

No comments: